Chevy Bolt EV + EUV support updates

Your personal automotive assistant.

This is the support forum for the Sidecar app by Clutch Engineering.

Learn more about the app at http://sidecar.clutch.engineering
jeff
Site Admin

My garage

Re: Chevy Bolt EUV support updates

Post by jeff »

Added three more parameters in SHA: 816cf97:

• BOLT_VSS: Movement > Vehicle speed (Connectable for speed)
  • BOLT_HVBAT_TEMP: Battery > HV battery temperature
  • BOLT_HVBAT_SOC_RAW: Battery > HV battery charge (raw) (Connectable for state of charge)
jeff
Site Admin

My garage

Post by jeff »

One more parameter in SHA: f0d7c6f:

• BOLT_CHARGE_MODE: Battery > Charging mode.

For this one it would be helpful if you can share screenshots of the parameter in various states of charging, e.g. not plugged in, plugged in and charging, and plugged in + finished charging.

pianoman96
Beta tester
Beta tester

Beta tester

My garage

Post by pianoman96 »

Awesome, looking forward to seeing all of the extra goodies.

No Apple Watch at the moment, but have been eying one 😉

jeff
Site Admin

My garage

Post by jeff »

Just added the full HV battery cell mapping in BOLT_HVBAT_CMU_VOLT. If you go to Parameters > Battery > Modules you should now see a visualization of your battery cells' voltage. @pianoman96: If you can share a screenshot of what it looks like that would be helpful to make sure I didn't miss anything in the mappings!

pianoman96
Beta tester
Beta tester

Beta tester

My garage

Post by pianoman96 »

BOLT_VSS: Movement > Vehicle speed is working but doesn’t seem to show anywhere live on the dashboard or in CarPlay. Should it?

Battery temperature is displaying in the parameters but not anywhere else (assuming it shouldn’t be as of now.)

Is raw battery what the car actually has versus what Chevy wants to display? That seems to display a percentage or two above the normal battery number.

Photos of charging mode attached. Not charging is displayed fine, when I charge the car no status is given (example in the attached screenshot.) I’ll update when the car is fully charged.

Finally battery cell mapping is attached. It shows 96 cells and seems to be working and updating live. What should the toggle “use as battery module voltage” do?

ScreenshotScreenshot
IMG_6867.png
IMG_6867.png (377.16 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
IMG_6863.png
IMG_6863.png (352.56 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
ScreenshotScreenshot
IMG_6865.png
IMG_6865.png (304.88 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
IMG_6862.png
IMG_6862.png (313.77 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
jeff
Site Admin

My garage

Post by jeff »

pianoman96 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:15 pm

BOLT_VSS: Movement > Vehicle speed is working but doesn’t seem to show anywhere live on the dashboard or in CarPlay. Should it?

Vehicle speed is used by the trip logger to build more accurate speed logs. Over time I'm planning on using this data to help you understand the impact of things like temperature, speed, and elevation have on vehicle efficiency but that functionality is not implemented yet.

Regarding showing it on the dashboard, you can view it from the OBD menu as a raw readout for now. I'll be adding support for displaying more parameters as widgets on the map overlay over time, with speed likely being shown as a historical graph in some manner.

Battery temperature is displaying in the parameters but not anywhere else (assuming it shouldn’t be as of now.)

Similarly for this one, the parameter isn't wired up to any part of the UI yet, so the parameter's mostly an FYI for you :)

Is raw battery what the car actually has versus what Chevy wants to display? That seems to display a percentage or two above the normal battery number.

Yep! Most manufacturers build in a little bit of buffer into the battery readouts. I'd recommend continuing to use the displayed SOC as your Connectable because it's better to underestimate your capacity when driving.

Photos of charging mode attached. Not charging is displayed fine, when I charge the car no status is given (example in the attached screenshot.) I’ll update when the car is fully charged.

This looks like it might be a bug; the parameter should be changing the vehicle widget to show a plug or bolt icon on the vehicle widget. I'll take a look at this and aim to fix for next app release.

Finally battery cell mapping is attached. It shows 96 cells and seems to be working and updating live. What should the toggle “use as battery module voltage” do?

The battery cell mapping doesn't show up in the UI yet but it's one of the features I'll be adding soon. The plan is to integrate it into the main vehicle page as a set of widgets, notably including some statistical analysis to identify any potential cell outliers (often an early warning of a failing battery pack). I may also make it available as a general widget that you can install on your home screen too in case you want to keep an eye on your cell state in general.

jeff
Site Admin

My garage

Post by jeff »

Here's an example of a trip log with speed + state of charge charted next to each other:

IMG_4024.jpg
IMG_4024.jpg (99.11 KiB) Viewed 3149 times

Note that Sidecar is also tracking the weather you're driving through as well.

pianoman96
Beta tester
Beta tester

Beta tester

My garage

Post by pianoman96 »

Love all of the work you’re doing on this. Happy to keep on testing whenever you have questions!

jeff
Site Admin

My garage

Post by jeff »

@pianoman96 I'm going to take a look at tuning the parameters for the Chevy Bolt EUV again. Can you send me via email to jeff@clutch.engineering the export of your OBD logs? I want to take a look at the charging state responses in particular to fix the UI bug we noticed yesterday.

How to export your OBD logs: https://sidecar.clutch.engineering/help ... -scan-logs

pianoman96
Beta tester
Beta tester

Beta tester

My garage

Post by pianoman96 »

Logs sent. Also emailing you a screenshot of some weird boxing that’s appearing on the Maps view on CarPlay.